Alfred Dunhill opened his tobacco shop in 1907 in London’s Duke Street. At the very beginning, the pipes sold were bought in from independent pipe makers. Unsatisfied with the quality of those pipes, an internal workshop was set up in 1910 in immediate proximity of the shop.
Around 1912, Alfred introduced to his pipes the WHITE SPOT DOT, showing staff and the esteemed clientele alike the correct way of (re)positioning the hand-cut mouthpiece on the Dunhill pipe.
This small, discrete symbol would soon become a sign of recognition for various Dunhill products, an internationally registered trademark and the ultimate accolade of highest workmanship and quality.